They May Retropolis update dropped this morning and some promising additions were announced, but what actually arrived in the game with the update and abnormally long maintenance break? Read on and find out.
Below is the official patch notes posted on the Brawl Stars subreddit by the Developer team:
New Brawler – Bibi
- Epic Brawler
- Main attack: Three Strikes
- Bibi’s main attack knocks back enemies when her Home Run bar is charged.
- The Home Run bar charges while having all 3 swings at the ready.
- Super Attack: Spitball
- Bibi bats a bouncing ball of bubble gum that deals damage and can hit the enemy multiple times
- Star Power: Home Run
- Bibi’s movement speed is increased while her Home Run bar is fully charged.
- Hot Rod Brock
- Bake Sale Barley
- Road Rage Carl
- Maple Barley (Canada soft launch anniversary skin)
- Rosa Voice Over
- Ability to send in-game mail to Club members (available for leaders & co-leaders) – Currently unavailable. Still working on a fix for this.
- Supercell ID 2.0 (Will roll out to countries over the next week)
New Event – Retropolis
- New Battle Location – Retropolis
- New Menu Music
- New Menu Background
- New In-Game Music
- Several maps are now “Retrofied”
- Gem Grab – Cell Division, Four Squared, Escape Velocity, Spring Trap, Double Swoosh
- Heist – Rolling Rumble, Bridge Too Far
- Bounty – Layer Cake, Dry Season
- Maps Removed
- Gem Grab – Bouncing Echo
- Heist – Split Second, Corner Case
- Maps Added
- Gem Grab – Cross Cut
- Heist – Pit Stop, Side Story
- Decreased Super duration from 4.0 sec to 3.0 sec
- Decreased Star power healing from 300 per sec to 200 per sec
- Needs now 10 hits instead of 9 to fully charge up Super
- Main attack effect now better matches the area where damage is dealt
- Frank’s Super now again stuns the Siege base for the full duration
- Carl can now pre-aim his main attack while using Super
- Carl now has a much shorter cooldown for the main attack (can use the main attack more rapidly when the Pickaxe returns after a wall hit)
- Fixed multiple UI issues
- Fixed a bug that gave access to locked skins in the Training Cave
- Fixed an issue with character health bars being displayed incorrectly after being revealed from stealth
- Fixed issues related to player status display in teams
- Fixed partially underwater launch pads on Showdown map Flying Fantasies
Once you log into the game after updating, you won’t notice much of a change. There’s no pop-up announcing an update like the previously and there are no noticeable additions or changes to the game. The background hasn’t even been changed to the Retropolis theme yet! The only UI addition I could find was an extra “Inbox” tab in the “Settings” menu. In short, the update that came today was merely a balance change that also revealed Bibi in the Brawlers page – which, by the way, unlocks tomorrow!
The new skins will each arrive on separate occasions, and once we get the dates and the prices we will post an update for everyone. Furthermore, Club Mail was also implemented with this update, but it doesn’t actually work yet. If you are currently a Vice-President or President of a Club, clicking the new Club Mail icon on the Social Page will lead to this error message: “TID_CLAN_RESPONSE_111”. Brawl Stars tweeted this message earlier today on Twitter:
In other words, Club Mail is in the game, but does not actually work yet.
If you log onto the game after this post was created, the new Bull’s Diner themed version of the Dry Season Bounty map will be waiting for you. This means that the new theme has arrived in the game and is just waiting in rotation. However, if you read the Patch Notes on Reddit and the App Store carefully, they specifically characterize Retropolis separately from a new map theme. This could just mean the Menu background and music change, but could also possibly mean something more. If you have a guess, be sure to let us know!
That’s it for this update. The new features will hopefully roll out soon, but for now, this is what we got. What do you think of this update? Was is over-hyped or not? Let us know, and in the meantime, Brawl On!